Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Interview.. and paperwork

First, thank you to everyone for being so wonderful. Those of you who know Alex have always known he is our "one of a kind" and how wonderful he is, and how different he is. It's not everyday a 10 year old searches for a remedy for AIDS.

The first part of the Autism test is all Alex's. He gets to take tests, have an IQ test done, be observed... But then they want to talk to the parents. Part of that prompted my blog. They wanted me to remember all the milestones.

So Todd and I got to hang out in Ms. R's office Friday to be interegated.  Actually, it wasn't so bad. The staff at DV is amazing. The paperwork was a little more intrusive. It's hard not to blame yourself for things, even when you do everything the best you can. (and no, I don't blame myself--I know my friends will want to comfort me and I know it is not because of anything I did, it is what it is for whatever reasons it is... but sometimes you just wonder what if....)

Anyway, we got to talk about Alex for 1 and 1/2 hours. How fun, really! The staff is a little suprised at how corporative we have been... which shocks me. You'd think all parents would want to do what is best for their kids, advocate. But I am so proud of Alex that everything he does, including the things he does wrong, I am proud of. (Yes, I am sometimes disappointed in his actions, but really, everything he does has purpose).

Wow. That is so true. Everything Alex does has purpose. Where so many people just do things to do things, Alex is always intentional. He gives a new perspective to ideas and thoughts and is a wonderful conversationalist.

OK, off to put my other child to bed. Crazy life here at our house. ;-)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment