Sunday, November 14, 2010

Introduction

Hi! My name is Debbie. I'm a mom. I'm a mom to two great boys. Billy is my youngest. He is the life of the party, loves people and always introducing himself to strangers. He loves everything, wants to try new things, and the more people, the better.

But this story is not about Billy. Alex is, well Alex. He is now 10, but from a young age, he was always his own person.

I stopped going to playgroups because Alex would go off on his own. In preschool, parents would get upset because he would not play with the other kids, even those he knew his whole life.

Most kids were into dinosaurs or sports, but at age 4, he started talking about neurons, protons, and atoms and would make statements I had to look up to confirm their truth. Today at dinner he commented on the viscosity of his ice cream, which was pretty runny.

Alex still to this day can not ride a bike. I gave up. I feel like such a failure, but that is where this journey is taking us, and why I am blogging.

As I write, I will share more stories of why Alex is Alex. I've always been so proud of him and never labeled him, but yet, Alex has always been his own person.

I titled this Blog Journery to Asper because it took me to this year to finally force myself to do what is best for Alex, and have him tested for Aspergers. I never wanted to admit that my child could actually have it. There is just something about Autism that is scary as a parent.. you don't want anything for your child that seems a "hurdle."

If Alex had clear cut signs of being Autistic, it would be easier (to us to admit it). But he's always been able to function really well, and we held on to that hope he'd outgrow a lot of the quirks. This always made it easy to tuck it away in the back of our mind.

At age 4 Alex was diagnosed on the Spectrum, but it was never mentioned maybe he really did have it. Just that he was simply anti-social because he played out scenerios different then most people.

I am finally taking the steps, against Alex's own personal knowledge, to have him tested. He may (or may not) have Aspergers, but as a parent, we need to know so we can give him insight to who he is and help him be the best he can be.

I know many parents are afraid to have their kids tested. I'm hoping my journey can help other moms who know their child is amazing, but can see that some pain may exist for themselves or their child. If it's being treated differently by the parents because your child will not conform, or watching your child be teased but not being able to do anything....

Please join me as we find out more about who Alex really is, besides being the most brilliant, wonderful, loving, caring, and polite child I have ever known. No matter what, I am proud to have him as my son.

Debbie

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, I'll be thinking of you while you're on this journey! Alex is a wonderful kid who is lucky to have parents who are so in tune with him and love him for who he is! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I think this is so amazing and courageous of you to tell your story like this...It will help so many people, you will never know how many this will touch. I have worked with several Asperger's teenagers and they have all been amazing kids that leave me in awe! May this journey help you as much as it will help others going thru the same things!
    Amy Skelton

    ReplyDelete