Sunday, November 14, 2010

To play, or not to play

I used to love playdates. I got to talk to adults, Alex got to play with kids. In the beginning, I knew (thanks to "What to Expect the First Year") that Alex would play alongside others, and that was OK. So I never thought much of it when we would have playdates and he would not overly mingle.

He had friends, and would sort of play. But as he got older, I found that I was playing with his playmates because he would get bored quickly and go do his own thing. His friends, however, would want someone to play with them.

Alex would have been fine as an only child.

In preschool, I had a few friends who I knew were upset with me. They would come up and ask me to talk to Alex and find out why he would not play with the other kids.

THE RUNNING
Alex also began doing this running thing. This is a huge element that has carried over and we are trying to tackle. Some people pace back and forth and wear out the carpet. Alex runs. This is his "thinking" time, and he really can not help himself.

Now when I think back to me, I used to tap dance, and you may still catch me moving my feet if I am antsy, but I was still stationary. Alex can not stay still and does some great thinking.

Is this a problem? No. But, it is not NORMAL, therefore causing him to stand out to the other kids like a big neon yellow flashing sign saying "hey, don't look at me, but do!"

We always hoped he would outgrow it, or be able to channel it some other way. Which is one reason we are moving forward with the diagnosis. To help him.

My poor youngest did not get as many playdates. I kind of burned out with Alex.

Part of the reason I don't think he wanted to play with others is because molecules didn't mean much to them (if they even knew what they were)... and so he had a hard time relating to them with their desire to pedal on the tricycles, play games, and just be silly.

Now Alex can be as silly as the best silly kids around! He has an amazing imagination. But we will discuss that later when I'm not so tired.

PS: Alex would not be happy to know I am sharing his stories. He says he is a very "isolated" person and prefers to keep himself that way.

I am the total opposite. I feel everyone has a story, and every story should be shared. I've already in the last hour since I began this blog, had comments on those of you who can relate.

I will continue his story more later....

*Alex loves Broccoli. But he will not eat it cooked because the nutrients are cooked out....he is in the kitchen prepping him a healthy nighttime snack as we speak.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment